Owner and Chef Sakai
With a white coat and tall hat, chef Sakai has been on road of French cuisine since he was 17 years old, over 40 years. Since his start the, chef Sakai has been supported by his many seniors and peers and has been driven by the smiley faces of his happy customers. More than anything he likes to make delicious food and will continue to do so until he cannot any more.
|1942||Chef Sakai was born in Kagoshima.
At the age of 17 he entered the world of French cuisine at the Shin Osaka Hotel. At 19 he moved to Australia for a year and a half to work at the Oriental Hotel. Afterwards he returned to Japan.
|1963||Chef Sakai began working at the Shiki in Tokyo’s Ginza district. Sakai was guided by the pioneer chef Shido Kitade for three years before he moved to Aoyama and began working at the coco palms and the Jhon kanaya where he began his work as a head chef.|
|1980||Chef Sakai became independent and opened his first La Rochelle in southern Aoyama prefecture.|
|1994||February: Chef Sakai debuted as ‘Iron Chef’ of Fuji Televisions “Iron Chef” program.|
|1999||Chef Sakai opened his second La Rochelle, this one located in Minami Aoyama.
September: Chef Sakai became the top chef on “Iron Chef.”
|2002||La Rochelle Fukuoka opened|
|2005||Chef Sakai was awarded with the title of chevalier in France.|
- “I am a head chef, sometimes I am an ‘Iron Chef.’” –Kodansha Ltd.
- “Monsieur Sakai, eat food at your own pace” –KK Best Sellers
- “Sakai’s French cuisine” -KOSAIDO PUBLISHING Ltd.
- “Hiroyuki Sakai’s casual French” –Lettuce Club
- ‘ryori no tetsujin’
- The TV show “ryori no tetsujin” that started in 1993 in Osaka is now a popular TV program in America called “Iron Chef”. With hints of Osaka in its wake Chef Sakai became one of the more popular Iron Chefs on the hit TV show in America
|1957||Born and raised in hokkaido, imakane chou.|
|1985||Left Morinaga Tokyo Airport Restaurant to work in Aoyama La Rochelle|
|Moved to Shibuya and became head chef at Shibuya|
|Moved to Fukuoka and became Executive Chef in the newly opened La Rochelle in Tenjin, Fukuoka.|
Every day I arrive at work with the rest of the staff and we happily do our jobs as hitch-free as possible.
Monsieur Sakai’s quote, “The important points in cooking are beauty and flavor” has always stuck with me when cooking.